Logo

geätzte Relingsstüzen bei Steingraeber-Modelle


Portland Observatory
The Observatory, a 65 foot shingle wooden tower, was built in 1807 and served as a marine signal station until 1924. The tower was equipped with a powerful telescope to identify incoming ships and a signal flag system to announce their arrival to subscribing ship owners at their wharf side offices. In the last century such towers were common throughout the world. Reputed to be the last such observatory on the east coast.

Infos